The CONCORD FUNERAL HOMESM Story
In 1936 Rothwell N. MacRae opened the MacRae Funeral Home in a storefront on Walden Street in Historic Concord, Massachusetts, in an area commonly known as “Tuttles-Livery.” The following year MacRae relocated the his growing business to its present-day location at the corner of Belknap and Thoreau Streets.
For 20 years MacRae proudly served the communities of Concord, Carlisle, Lincoln, Sudbury, and Acton from this humble home which was originally thought to be the “gate house” for the Colonel Belknap Estate.
In 1958, Edmund H. Tunnicliffe III purchased the firm, and changed the name to MacRea-Tunnicliffe Funeral Home. He would spend the next seven years expanding and improving the facility to accommodate an ever-growing clientele. To this day, thanks to his hard work and vision, our facility offers a warm and comforting environment to the families we serve.
The Tunnicliffe family operated the home for forty-six years. Edmund IV and his wife Sue joined his father in the day-to-day operation of the business and ultimately, upon the retirement of Edmund III, continued the tradition of excellence started by Rothwell MacRae.
In July 2004, the Tunnicliffe family sold the business to Glenn and Beth Burlamachi. Residing in the upper level of the funeral home, Glenn and Beth raised their two children, and continue the long tradition of making improvements to the home and serving the community that they love. Concord Funeral HomeSM proudly continues to be family owned, operated and occupied.